Imágenes de páginas

HE laird of Stenhouse, Sir Robert Lawrie of Maxwelton, and John Craik of Stewarton, did instigate and urge Cornet Baillie and his party of dragoons to shoot William Smith in Hill [parish of Glencairn], after he had been prisoner one night (it was the day of Maxwelton's daughter's marriage), who also refused to let him be buried in the churchyard. This Douglas of Stenhouse, being a laird of mean estate, was advanced (for such services as this, and his excessive harassing, spoiling, and fining the people of God, and because he was a papist), to the honour of being secretary for Scotland to James the Seventh; but the wicked's honour is short lived; his name is extinct, having neither root nor branch, male or female, nor any remembrance left unto him. The said Lawrie of Maxwelton's steward reported that a cup of wine delivered that day into his hand turned into congealed blood; but be that as it will, himself died by a fall from his horse some years after.

[William Smith was a young man of eighteen. Cornet Baillie of the garrison of Caitloch met him in the fields near his father's house, and had nothing against him save his refusal to answer the questions put to him. Notwithstanding, he took him prisoner to Caitloch. When his father heard of it he prevailed with his master, Lawrie of Maxwelton, to meet with Cornet Baillie at the kirk of Glencairn, to get, as he hoped, his son set free. That day, March 4th 1685, William Smith was brought before them, and still refusing to answer the questions put to him, Maxwelton immediately passed sentence of death upon him in virtue of the power he said he possessed as commissioner. Cornet Baillie called this sentence in question as illegal, unless he summoned a jury and tried him before it, but Maxwelton would hear of no delay, and threatened to report the cornet for sparing him so long. Accordingly he was carried out to the Racemoor, near by, and shot. He died, says Wodrow, with a great deal of holy composure and courage, and in full assurance of faith, declaring to the spectators that he suffered for no rebellion or any crime, but only for converse with the persecuted people as they came and went; and for refusing to discover their haunts and lurking places, He said much for the comfort of his parents when he took his farewell of them.-ED.]


IR JAMES JOHNSTONE of Westerhall caused apprehend Andrew Hislop in the parish of Hutton in Annandale, and delivered him up to Claverhouse, and never rested until he got him shot by Claverhouse his troopers. Claverhouse would have delayed it, but Westerhall was so urgent that Claverhouse was heard "This man's blood shall be upon Westerhall." At length upon say his urgency Claverhouse ordered a Highland [gentleman] captain of a company [traversing the country with him] to do it, but he refused, and drawing off his Highlanders to a convenient distance, swore that "her nainsel would fight Claverhouse and all his dragoons first." Whereupon he caused three of his own dragoons do it, May [10th] 1685. It is observable of this Westerhall that he was once a great professor, and one who had sworn the Covenant, and when the Test was framed he bragged that he was an actual covenanter and scorned the Test; but when he had the trial he embraced it, and became a bitter enemy to the work and people of God, and this man having been taken in his ground he would have him shot to give proof of his loyalty. He died about the Revolution in great torture of body by the gravel, and horror, and anguish of conscience, insomuch that his cries were heard at a great distance from the house as a warning to all such apostates.

[Andrew Hislop was a young man, and lived, as did his brother and sisters, with his mother, a. pious woman. To her house one of the persecuted came in sickness, and in a few days died. Fearing punishment for reset and converse, Mrs Hislop and her sons buried the corpse under cover of night in a neighbouring field. The grave was discovered, and Sir James Johnstone came with a party of men and lifted the body. They soon found whence the corpse had come, and immediately went and stripped the widow's house of its contents, and pulled it to the ground, inflicting on the poor woman a computed loss of six hundred and fifty pounds Scots. While she and her family were thus forced to wander, Claverhouse, says Wodrow, and not Westerhall, fell upon Andrew Hislop in the fields, and brought him prisoner to Eskdale to Sir James Johnstone. Sir James immediately passed sentence of death upon him. Claverhouse was unwilling to execute the sentence, perhaps, says Wodrow, not wanting his own reflections upon John Brown of Priesthill's murder ten days before. At last he ordered the Highland captain, as narrated above. When the three dragoons were ready to fire, they

told Andrew to draw his bonnet over his eyes. But Andrew refused to do so, and courageously told them he could look his death bringers in the face without fear, and that he had done nothing whereof he was ashamed; and holding up his Bible, which he had in his hand, charged them to answer for what they had done, and were to do, when at the great day they were to be judged by that book. His remains lie where he was shot at Craighaugh in Eskdale. The inscription on the monument over them is in the Appendix.— ED.]


IR ROBERT GRIERSON of Lagg, having the command of a part of Claverhouse's troop and Strachan's dragoons, surprised John Bell of Whiteside, David Halliday, portioner of Mayfield, Andrew M'Robert, James Clement, and Robert Lennox of Irelandtown, and barbarously killed them, after quarter, without time allowed to pray; when John Bell of Whiteside begged a little time to pray, Lagg answered, "What the devil have you been doing? Have you not prayed enough these many years in the hills?" and so shot him presently in the parish of Tongland in Galloway, February 1685.

[John Bell of Whiteside in the parish of Anwoth, Kircudbrightshire, was the only son of the heiress of Whiteside, who after his father's death had married Viscount Kenmure. He was a man of piety and sagacity, and had suffered much since the battle of Bothwell Bridge, where he seems to have been. Immediately after the battle his house was plundered. In 1681 Claverhouse and a party of soldiers lay several weeks in his house, until they had devoured all the provisions they could find; and when they left they carried off all his sheep. For several years he dare not live under his own roof, but had to hide himself in the moors. Dr Simpson, in his


Gleanings among the Mountains," relates several traditional stories of narrow escapes he made from his enemies. It was in February 1685 that he at last fell into their hands. He and his four friends were upon the hill of Kirkconnel, in Tongland Parish, Kirkcudbrightshire, when they were taken and immediately shot. Shortly after the murder, Viscount Kenmure, Claverhouse, and Lagg met at Kirkcudbright, when the Viscount challenged the murderer for his cruelty to one whom he knew to be a gentleman, and nearly related to him, and especially that he would not permit his corpse to be buried. Lagg swore at him, and told him, "Take him if you will,

and salt him in your beef barrel." At which the Viscount drew his sword, and would have run him through, had not Claverhouse interfered and separated them. John Bell's remains are in Anwoth Churchyard, David Halliday's are in Balmaghie, Robert Lennox's in Girthon. The inscriptions are in the Appendix.—ED.]


HE said Laird of Lagg, with the Earl of Annandale, having command of some troops of heritors, pursued another David Halliday [of Glencayre] and George Short, and apprehended and shot them, under cloud of night, in the parish of Twynholm, in Galloway, anno 1685.

[On June 10th, according to Wodrow, but July 11th, according to the inscription on the monument in Balmaghie, over the remains of David Halliday, Lord Annandale fell in with the two martyrs. On their surrender he gave them quarter till they should be tried next day; but when Sir Robert Grierson of Lagg came up, he would have them shot immediately, as they lay bound upon the ground. They begged they might have the next day to prepare for eternity, and Lord Annandale told Sir Robert he had promised them so much. But nothing would move Lagg. He swore they should have no time, and ordered his men to shoot them forthwith. The soldiers refused until he threatened to do it himself, when the two were shot as they lay. The remains of Short are also in Balmaghie churchyard. The inscriptions on the monuments of both martyrs are in the Appendix. -ED.]


HE laird of Culzean [Sir Archibald Kennedy] for that time captain of a troop of militia and heritors, killed William M'Kirgue at Blairquahan Mill [parish of Straiton, Ayrshire],

anno 1685.

The laird of Culzean, with the laird of Ballochmiln, also shot Gilbert M'Adam in the parish of Kirkmichael [Ayrshire] July 1685.

[Gilbert M'Adam was the son-in-law of James Dun in Benwhal, Dalmellington, a worthy man who suffered much in his family for their nonconformity. One son was murdered by the soldiers, and two were banished. Gilbert M'Adam was apprehended in 1682 and taken to Dumfries for his nonconformity. James Dun went and gave security under a penalty of four hundred pounds for his appearance when called, and he was set free. On his failing to appear, the penalty was exacted. Shortly afterwards he was again taken and

carried to Glasgow, where, when he refused to take the oath, he was banished and sent away in Bailie Gibson's ship. His father had given him £20 with him, with which he bought his freedom in America, and he returned home in 1685. On a Saturday night in June or July, in the house of Hugh Campbell in Kirkmichael, he and some friends were met for prayer, when Sir Archibald Kennedy, with a company of soldiers, surrounded the house. Gilbert M'Adam tried to escape, but the soldiers fired and shot him dead. Wodrow says he was a person of shining piety.-ED.]

PARTY of Highlanders killed Joseph Wilson, David Dun,
Simon Paterson, and other two, near the water of Coyle in
Kyle [Ayrshire], anno 1685.

[David Dun belonged to an Ayrshire family noted for their attachment to the cause of truth and freedom, who suffered much during the persecution. David Dun had been at a conventicle held by James Renwick at Kilmien, a moorland spot four miles to the north-west of Dalmellington. He was returning home, when he saw a company of horsemen in the distance, trying to find their way to Kilmien. He turned towards a morass, in the midst of which was a hollow often resorted to by the persecuted when pursued, and would have reached the hollow, had not another detachment of cavalry coming from an opposite direction suddenly met him. He thus found himself hemmed in, and his heavy horse sinking on the edge of the moss, ere he could right himself he was a prisoner. Simon Paterson had been at the same meeting, and seems to have been taken at the same time. Their presence at the conventicle was their only crime. Both were taken to the gallows standing at Old Cumnock, and without trial, witnesses or jury, hanged that very day. Joseph Wilson, John Humphry, and John and Alexander Jamieson had come from Galloway, and had been at Kilmien. They had sought refuge in Tod Fauld below Benbeoch Craig, in the parish of Dalmellington, where they had lain for some time, but having learned that a reward was offered for their apprehension they retired to Carsgailoch Hill, about five miles to the west of New Cumnock. Here the four were surprised the day after the meeting by a party of dragoons. Alexander Jamieson, as Wodrow calls him, or James Jamieson according to tradition, escaped, but the other three were shot and left by the murderers unburied on the moor. Their friends afterwards interred them on the spot where they fell. A monument

« AnteriorContinuar »